Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:18:12 +0400
From:      jadream <jadream@chat.ru>
To:        Andreas Persson <pap@garen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Strange problems installing 4.0 vs 3.2 (2-d trial)

Hi Andreas!

Andreas Persson wrote:

> Make sure you are using the ad driver instead of wd

Yes I'm sure I am.

ad0:      at ata0-master using UDMA33
acd0:    at ata1-slave using PIO4

> and mail me the output of
> sysctl hw.atamodes

failed to get to the command prompt :(

> and dmesg after a boot. Also try to do some things which
> exhibit this behavior and check the logs/console for device timeouts.

time to time I see a message "Probing devices that can take some time ..."  in
the install script console and whole stuf hangs.

when not so after any disk operations occur I have endlessly repeating messages
in DEBUG output console:

ad0: WRITE command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices ... done

something wrong with VIA chipset perhaps? It might be somehow not compatible???
strange thing it worked excellent with 3.2 ...

Thank you in any case for attention :0)

Alex Komratov