Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:24:24 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

On Monday 06 August 2007 09:28:35 JoaoBR wrote:
=2E....

> I had a chance to test several MBs with the same 6000+, 5000+ and 4600+ c=
pu

> At the end seems that the problem is mb/hardware related since some
> combinations hung even with latest BIOS installed and others not.

not sure if somebody still wants to hear about this but it is kind of=20
interesting I guess

for my understandings in first place the MB and Bios is most important thin=
g=20
and there are vendor bios out which say they support the higher freq CPUs b=
ut=20
certainly they don't or at least not all of them

even so I gut freezes on all kind of combinations and seems that xorg and i=
t's=20
video drv are kind of very sensitive to certain settings, also with glx and=
=20
dri disabled I still got freezings sooner or later

I got a new monitor this days and that brought the real stuff up, seems tha=
t=20
xorg is not liking when the HorizSync and VertRefresh rates are not 100%=20
correct and what then cause the kill. In order to doublecheck this I took m=
y=20
old monitor back with correct settings and i got no further freezes either=
=20
with any of the CPU/MB combinations I tested before.

I have an LCD which can 1280x1024 at 75hz , the former could 1024x768 at 75=
hz=20
and with both it works now fine with

VertRefresh 50-100
HorizSync   31.5 - 82.0

before I had

VertRefresh 50 - 90
HorizSync   30 - 75

one thing more I did which caused a sysctl error on boot. There is a funny=
=20
line in /etc/rc.s/power_profile as 'highest_value=3D"C1"' which I commented=
 out=20
but I guess that has nothing to do since the setting was not accepted

anyway xorg seems to have problems when enabling DPMS and returns wrong=20
values. The vesa driver seems to work better or is less sensitive than sis=
=20
and nv and ati but with the correct monitor rates all are working fine.

well, I believe that's it because I have now two different MATX MBs running=
=20
24h with Athlon 5000 without any problem, since friday night =20

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o