Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 14:48:34 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        "Stephen F. Combs" <test-owner@salem.ge.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, FreeBSD-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problems with Installing 2.0.5R

> 	2)	Using the ST31200, I couldn't get it to accept the
> 		untranslated geometry.  The system has ONLY FreeBSD on it

Yeah, we're going to be working on this more in the future.  Known
problem, and it's a sticky one.

> 	3)	BIN Dist failed to install.  DEBUG Screen said "gunzip:
> 		unexpeced EOF" (not exact message).  Then "cpio: unexpected
> 		EOF".  Re-Downloaded new bin dist and tried again (same
> 		problem).  System was up enough to continue install.

This is weird.  How are you installing?  Over ftp?  From which site?
I've had a couple of people report symptoms like this (which I'm
utterly unable to reproduce) which leads me to believe that perhaps
one of our mirrors has a bogus dist.

> 	4)	Usr.SBin Dist failed to install with the same message as
> 		BIN Dist.  After getting this series of messages, I tried

Ditto.  Can't reproduce at all.

> 	5)	XF86 Failed completely to install via the sysinstall
> 		system.  I was able to extract it using the command

See above.. :-(

> 	This message is not intended to be a bitch, gripe, etc... about
> the install process.  I happen to think (once I've/You've figured out
> what happened) that the install is the best yet!  Beats the old 386BSD 0.1

Thanks, though I'd still like to know why you (and a couple of other
folks) are having such a hard time extracting these dists!  They all
work just fine for me and all the testers hanging around Walnut Creek
CDROM..

The only known bug is that /usr/src/bin doesn't extract as part of
the src dist, and that's been fixed.

						Jordan