Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:00:20 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: my brother is making me learn FreeBSD...

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:57:01AM -0700, mdh wrote:
> It's been my experience that finding drivers for
> hardware created for open source operating systems by
> developers within the communities is quite easy, while
> such community doesn't exist for windows and you are
> 100% reliant on the vendor to supply working drivers.
> If they supply crap drivers, go out of business and
> stop providing any, etc, you are simply out of luck,
> while with an open source model it is likely that
> someone will have kept development going if the vendor
> ever even did produce drivers for those systems.
> There's very little in the way of modern hardware that
> isn't supported by FreeBSD.  The one time I ever ran
> into unsupported hardware, a quick update of -STABLE
> brought the necessary support in the driver.
>
> The fact is that political BS aside, for 90% of
> workers, FreeBSD/KDE/openoffice/firefox will meet
> their needs just as well as windows, and in fact if
> you start with something like PC-BSD

I think 90% is pessimistic, actually.  It's probably closer to 98%.

By the way, please don't top-post.  The freebsd-questions list is one of
those where I get to enjoy a "no top-posting" rule, and seeing
unnecessary top-posting kinda harshes my mellow here.

Paul Graham: "Real ugliness is not harsh-looking syntax, but having to
build programs out of the wrong concepts."