Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:38:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checking stopevent 2!

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Andy Farkas wrote:

> These messages spew onto my console and into syslogd once every second:

Heh.  Sounds like your box is having a really bad day, we'll see if we
can't get it fixed up over the next couple of weeks as things settle out
:-).

I think John has this one in his sights already, we talked about the
sigacts locking during the release engineering telecon yesterday (CC'd
gratuitously in this message).  Basically, every place where a debugger
can "stop" a process there's a call to STOPEVENT(), which may sleep
indefinitely waiting to be restarted by the process performing the
debugging.  The problem appears to be that recent changes pushed a
STOPEVENT() call inside code holding a mutex, so the locking of that piece
of code needs to be changed slightly to make sure that doesn't happen.  IT
would probably be useful if you could drop to DDB and generate a trace for
the event.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories