Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:12:47 -0700
From:      jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   quick solution addemdum

In addition to the mysql, quick solution question:
the error is literally:
ERROR 2002 [HY000]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)
I thought that the server would create the mysql.sock file when it
started if it didn't exist so as
root I removed it.
I received the same error as above accept for (2) on the end rather
than (61);
I thought back to linux use days and vaguely remembered having a
similar problem
and never did find out how the mysql.sock file is created.
Impatience won over laziness and I did read the O'Reilly  MySQL
Reference Manual
and it did say lots about protecting the mysql.sock file but not how to
recreate it if it
has been eliminated. I guess that's the essence of my original question:
How do you recreate the mysql.sock file if it has been eliminated or in
this case
corrupted by a system power failure.
Thanks:
JK