Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 19:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Feldman <protozoa@locutus.ghs.ssd.k12.wa.us>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

This is definately a matter of opinion.

First of all, FreeBSD's kernel can use both the Linux and FreeBSD
interfaces at once. Although it might be possible to remove the FreeBSD
interfaces, then all you have are the Linux ones - it sounds like a loss
in functionality to me. Second, the Linux emulator is actually extremely
good - even very complex threaded programs work perfectly. Problems do
exist, but these are mostly in the /dev tree and drivers, not in the call
interface. Sound, video framebuffers, and SVGAlib all work, but only
barely. Thus I think the only advantage would be that FreeBSD userspace
apps could use glibc, which is nice, but would break the copyrights on
both trees :).

If you're really interested in this kind of OS hybridism, why not use the
GNU/FreeBSD system put out by Debian a while back?

	-- Dan Feldman
	   Hacker, webmaster and computer connoisseur
	   Out of sight, out of mind, out of hand.