Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:33:26 -0800
From:      Tim Traver <tt-list@simplenet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS File Locking across multiple machines

Hi all,

a couple of years back, we ran into a problem with the FreeBSD NFS code
where file locks were not seen by other machines.

We use Netapp disk hardware to mount NFS filesystems to our FreeBSD
systems. In the past, two different machines would not recognize locks
from each other, and would sometimes cause file collisions.

 From the same machine, two different processes would recognize locks
without a problem.

In our experience, the Sun servers that we had also did not have any
problems. This was after creating specific tests to make this determination.

We reported it to the freebsd developers way back when, and have lost
track as to the status of the issue.

Does anyone on this list know of the developer that was developing the
NFS code ??? or know anything about the issue ??? or have an answer ??? ;)

I'd like to talk to him/her to see what the status is in the later
FreeBSD 4.x series as well as 5.x

Thanks,

Tim.