Date:      Thu,  7 Jun 2001 11:08:47 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Slivko" <js43064n@pace.edu>
To:        James Lim <evilfry@sg.freebsd.org>, Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pcm0 and sbc0 in /dev ??

You have to have device pcm in addition to all of the other lines
in the generic config file. Also, what chipset is your soundcard?
If it's a Vortex 1 or Vortex 2, then you'll need to load the port
for aureal-kmod.
-- Jonathan

Jonathan M. Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>
Network Admin., DataSyrge Internet S.
Server Co-Admin., AsylumNet IRC Network
http://www.asylum-net.org -- check us out!

Pager/Voicemail: (917) 388-5304 (24 Hours)

From: Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to understand the errors I get now. I've recompile now
>with "only" the line:
>
>device pcm
>
>And of course I see the output of "cat /dev/sndstat" showing:
>
>[root@LC-BSD-corten3 /dev]--> cat /dev/sndstat
>FreeBSD AudioDriver (newpcm) May 17 2001 08:56:32
>Installed devices:
>pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:3 (1p/1r
>channels duplex)
>
>and my dmesg shows
>
>sbc0: <Creative ViBRA16X> at port
>0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,3 on isa0
>
>So I would like to know if doing "cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV snd0"
>and watching it complete with no errors creates or links the above
>mentioned pcm0 and sbc0 to something ?
>
>I would like to cat an audio file to the device or something just
>to hear a "pop" or something.
>
>RealPlayer tells me " ! Cannot open audio device, another
>application may be using it."
>
>I have gone through the output of dmesg and nothing else is
>sharing or using irq5 except sbc0 as mentioned above.

___
Sent via the Pace University Mail system at stmail.pace.edu