Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 95 12:46:42 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        pirzyk@fa.disney.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: default block size on rdump

> I am trying to restore a tape from a FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 machine on a sun.  What
> is the default block size when writing to the tape.  I have not found it by
> looking at the FAQs.  I have tried

20k; this should be the same as the Sun.

You may need to use dd if=/dev/rst0 conv=swab | <archiver> instead of
trying to extract directly from tape.

SPARC chips and Intel chips have different byte orders.

This is especially relevent if you don't use the 'a' (ASCII) and 'c'
(CHARACTER) cpio options as religious defaults, for instance.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.