Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:12:56 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, <phk@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: specfs lock plumbing broken

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Nate Lawson wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > - spec_print() is of low quality: it doesn't print the device name or number.
> > - devfs_print() would be reachable but doesn't exist, so vprint() prints
> >   even lower quality output for devfs since there nothing prints an inode
> >   number either.
>
> I was the one who left vprint in a not-so-desirable state.  I plan to fix
> it very soon if you can tell me what info should be printed at what
> layer.  For instance, several fs's print the device but this is probably
> unnecessary since specfs could do this.  Care to elaborate?

You didn't break this :-).

Printing \n\t before VOP_PRINT() in vprint() works poorly for printing
the output in log files.  It would be better to have everything on one
line for grepping on the string in the vprint() call.

ufs only prints the device of the file system.  Most file systems need to
do that for themself since even having a device for the file system is
fs-dependent.  OTOH, v_rdev is in the vnode and there are fs-independent
ways to get its name[s], so it can be printed directly by vprint()
However, I prefer to let lower layers handle it.

Bruce