Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:06:19 -0600
From:      Joe Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com>
To:        Michael Imamura <gte255n@prism.gatech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shmmax?

Mike, Thanks for the info.

I checked my LINT file and I've got the same SHMALL=1025. Doesn't that
seem awefully small? My system as 1G of RAM and the article on
optimizing postgresql recommended 128M for a system with 512M total. Any
idea on a reasonable setting for SHMMAXPGS. Also, does the kernel need
to be re-built and installed after changing this file, or will a reboot
do the trick? I was reading about creating a custom kernel and in there
is the option to use or not use shared memory, but nothing about the
LINT file was ever mentioned. I didn't know if those values got built
into the kernel on a make, or if they were read in at reboot. Any
information is appreciated. Thanks!

Joe