Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:16:15 -0500
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum vs. DPT smartcacheIV raid

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:58:17AM -0500, Ean Kingston wrote:

> > I have a box with DPT PM2044 SmartCacheIV UW-SCSI PCI cards which can do
> > RAID-5 in hardware, but I'd have to use the DOS volume manager to set up
> > the array. I have heard reports that vinum woudl be faster than using the
> > native card. Is this true?
>
> Doubtful, though I have heard that there are some rare special
> circumstances where software raid can be faster. Given your hardware, you
> will probably not experience those conditions.

The reason I asked is because
http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/FreeBSD/vinum.html
suggests vinum can be marginally better than the hardware raid on the
smartraid range of cards (which have an even faster processor onboard
than the smartcache range). The CPU platform is more or less comparable.
Then again it is with old Fbsd, so I don't know how accurate that is.

--
Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut