Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 18:34:39 +0100
From:      Pascal Pype <pascal.pype@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CAD software and BSD (free BSD , open BSD or netBSD , etc. )

Hello ,

This remark must be placed within the context of an
announcement of Parametric Technologies Corporation to port
their "Pro Engineer" to Linux and the comments posted by
several people at Slashdot. This announcement has been
posted by chrisd on Monday June 10, @06:21PM from the
catia-we're-coming-for-you dept.

I choose Autodesk as an example because of the ubiquitious
reputation of their product. As we all know Autodesks
product releases 10,11,12 and early R13 were all based upon
several unix flavors. And all of a sudden from release R14
on , only the windows platform prevailed as the driving OS
behind their CAD software. The reason for this is quite
obvious : the hardware is much cheaper for a PC compared to
whatever workstation. I suppose that the switch over from
unix to windows happened at a big scale within the early
90s. I suppose then Linux was not matured enough to be a
reasonable alternative for MS Windows. Sure MAC OS X didn't
exist back then. But what about free BSD at that time ? Is
it so that your organization exists for two decades , if not
longer ? So I suppose free BSD (or some other BSD branch)
was a reasonable alternative to MS indeed. IHMO a port of
autocad from a UNIX flavored workstation towards let's say a
free BSD based INTEL box is far more easy to accomplish than
a port from that workstation towards the same INTEL box
running some windows version. To me it seems far more
logical to choose some BSD based version as OS for the
migration of expensive hardware to cheaper hardware then the
choice of windows as OS because those days the Autodesk code
base was UNIX centric. Has your organization ever been
contacted by Autodesk before or even while MS gained total
control ? I know that much people of the free BSD team
present their services towards the organization in the form
of a part time job. So there cannot be enough resources from
the free BSD team available to do full time professional 3D
based development. But at Autodesk there must have been much
software engineers that had a firmly in depth unix
knowledge. Could a cooperation of those Autocad people with
the free BSD team not have been possible to do the port ?
What actually happened is that the code of Autodesk has now
become tightly tangled with MS centric mechanisms such as
OLE automation , VBA , MFC and maybe Direct 3D ...

Greetings , Pype Pascal.