Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:31:28 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, Kazuo Horikawa <horikawa@psinet.com>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: mdoc police and MAINTAINER (was Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/ffsinfo ffsinfo.8 src/sbin/init init.8 src/sbin/sysctl sysctl.8)

> Chaps,
>
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:28:47AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:
> > > MAINTAINER=     tomsoft@FreeBSD.ORG, chm@FreeBSD.ORG
> > >
> > > Why did you not respect MAINTAINER?
> >
> > Because documentation commits (especially pure mdoc style commits like
> > those Ruslan do) are exempt.
>
> To clarify this (ironically, it's not written down anywhere), I would
> expect -doc committers to use the same level of common sense as other
> committers do when touching anything with a MAINTAINER label.
>
> Personally, that means anything from just going ahead and doing it, as
> Ruslan did, through to taking the time to contact the MAINTAINER and run
> the change past them for review.
>
> That does not mean that "All -doc committers can ignore MAINTAINER" any
> more than any other committer can ignore MAINTAINER.
>
> Inevitably this is going to lead to occasional instances where something
> gets committed over.  Shit happens, people make mistakes, and we should
> be able to resolve these without jumping up and waving MAINTAINER every
> time.
>
> In the case of mass commits as Ruslan and others have done, a HEADS UP
> notice in -developers, with a suitable grace period (a week or so, IMHO)
> should be sufficient for any comments or queries to surface.

I disagree.  Ruslan has done FreeBSD an honour in ironing out the
stuff he has.  I consider it fairly offensive that people have the
audacity to complain !

I guess I don't appreciate some people's point of view.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>