Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:15:22 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IRQ Problems with Stable

> From: Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 04:54:01 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Running a Compaq Armada with a Linksys PCMCIA card installed.  Under
> 4.3-RELEASE I managed to get this working nicely by tweaking /etc/pccard.conf
> to set the IRQ to either 9 or 10.  Those two being the only things I have
> avaiable.
>
> Addtionally, I added the following flag in rc.conf...
> pccard_flags="-i 9"

Overkill, but not a problem.

> I even tried tweaking the /etc/defaults/pccard.conf file out of desperation
> with "irq  9 10".

Overkill and a bad idea. The /etc/defaults files should never be edited.

> With all that being said, whenever I insert my Linksys card in, it
> gets assigned IRQ 11, which is my PS/2 port.  Prior to my buildworld
> to -STABLE my pccard.conf file was properly assigning the IRQ.
>
> Is this a bug in STABLE?  Some config tweak I still need to make?

It's almost certainly STABLE problems. The archives of stable and
mobile are full of the tales of Warner's tribulations in trying to get
everything working with the new PCI code. Rest assured that you are
not alone.

If you cvsup back to about the first of August, you should be
fine. (Actually, I think it's about the 11th, but I know that my Aug
02 system is before the PCI stuff was MFCed.)

Warner has been putting in yoeman's service trying to get every thing
working but, while it's getting closer, some systems still are not
working right.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)