Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:28:29 +0100
From:      Fabrizio Poggi <poggif@casaccia.enea.it>
To:        Bob K <melange@yip.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: Cooling hard drives

At 02.22 09/03/00 -0500, Bob K wrote:

I've seen a hand-crafted solution for cooling: put on the free egde of the
removable part of case a hole and an additional fan. It does make a
continuos current of air in couple with the classic rear fan coil.
There's a possibility that in 3.4-stable is a software mechanism of
protection for work with sensors of heat that appear in the new series of
motherboard?
Regard, Fabrizio

>I think there's more "professional" solutions out there at this point, but
>I've found that a case fan screwed on to the heatsinks salvaged from two
>dead CPU fans sitting on top of the drive works rather nicely.
>
>On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Coleman Kane wrote:
>
>> You may need to air-cool that hard drive, sounds like it's overheating and
>> messing up.
>>
>> --cokane
>>
>> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group had the audacity to say:

>> > It's quite possibly a hardware problem though I'm not entirely
>> > convinced that it's a fatal hardware problem.  I have an IDE drive, wd2
>> > below,
>> >
>> > wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa
>> > wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC22100H>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
>> > wd0: 2014MB (4124736 sectors), 4092 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
>> > wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa
>> > wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <WDC AC22500L>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
>> > wd2: 2441MB (4999680 sectors), 4960 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
>> >
>> > that occasionally has these errors under heavy load conditions, like
>> > fscking a badly damaged filesystem.  It's done this since it was brand
>> > new over four years ago.  The Western Digital diagnostics (just checked
>> > last week) reported no grown defects, and the Western Digital firmware
>> > utility says it doesn't need a firmware upgrade.
>> >
>> > Interestingly enough, the errors weren't bad enough to halt the system
>> > or abort an fsck.
>> >
>> > Could it be a software problem?  Maybe, maybe not.  Notice wd0.  It too
>> > is a Western Digital drive, just older.  It's had no problems, ever.
>> >
>> > Having said all that, I had a couple of WD Caviar WDAC280 drives that
>> > would cause an error message once every two to four years.  When they
>> > had errors, the Western Digital diagnostics would fix them up and
>> > they'd run happily for another few years.  Each drive had a couple of
>> > grown defects.  I retired them after 8 years of service.  One is still
>> > running in a Windows 3.1 PC, 11 years after I purchased it and the
>> > other serves quite well as a paper weight and would probably run nicely
>> > if it was still in use.
>> >

>> > Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
>> > Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
>> > Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
>> > Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
>> > Province of BC
>> >                     "COBOL IS A WASTE OF CARDS."