Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:33:34 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        justin@structured.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reboot from X?

Justin Ashworth wrote:

> Is it a bad thing to reboot my system while in X-Windows?

Normally this shouldn't be a problem (assuming of course you use
shutdown or halt, and not just brutaly shut the computer off). There are
reports of problems shutting down (especially 2.1.x systems) when X is
running and /tmp is on a MFS file system. The symptoms being that the
disk buffers do not get flushed (at the console you'll see something
like: 4 4 4 .... 4 giving up). If you don't get the "giving up" message,
then all should be well.

> --
> Justin Ashworth, Intern               Structured Network Systems
> justin@structured.net                 http://www.structured.net
> Mike:   "The Fourth Dimension is a shambles?"
> Bernie: "Nobody ever empties the ashtrays.  People are SO
>         inconsiderate."
>                 -- Gary Trudeau, "Doonesbury"
Nadav