Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:37:01 -0500
From:      Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
To:        Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SAGE] FreeBSD 4.4-REL to FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE upgrade problem.

At 02:08 AM 7/10/2003 -0400, Scott Lambert wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:54:55PM -0500, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> > blah, blah
> > blah, blah
> > ar0: ... <ATA RAID1 array> [...] status: READY subdisks:
> >  0 READY ad4: ... at ata2-master UDMA100
> >  1 READY ad6: ... at ata3-master UDMA100
> > acd0: CDROM ... at ata0-master PIO4
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
> > Root mount failed: 16
>
>You need to be using /dev/ar0s1a.  It is not good to use the devices in
>a RAID without going through the RAID controller.

I agree but this is how the systems were setup and it worked *fine* with
FreeBSD 4.4-REL. If it just plain doesn't work in 4.8-STABLE then okay, but
I want to be sure that this is the problem. As I mentioned earlier I am now
willing just to do a reinstall with 4.8-STABLE on several servers, but I am
very curious about the real cause of this. Basically, I just want to know
why this isn't working.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>;
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.