Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:39:37 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>
To:        mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx (Eduardo Viruena Silva)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting partition

Eduardo Viruena Silva writes:
> I think this is not a question but an observation...
>
> I have asked you about a problem that occurres when you install FreeBSD in
> two different PARTITIONS of the same IDE disk.  It seems to me that
> FreeBSD does not let you do that, I mean, you cannot have version 2.2.8
> and version 3.0 in the same disk because the installation process destroys
> one of the disk labels.  (I made a question about it some weeks ago,
> they answered me that I have made a mess with my disk labels, so I
> repeated the experiment and it happened again... I installed version 2.2.8
> in partition 1, and version 3.0 in partition 2.  Patition 2 became a
> mess).
>
> Some other Unix versions (the old ultrix and osf/1) require three
> "coordinates" for specifying the kernel's position:  the disk number, the
> patition number, and the slice letter.
>
> So, if you want to start from disk 2, patition 1, slice a,
> the loader should have to receive:
>
> 		wd(2,1,a)kernel
>
> and not:
> 		wd(2,a)kernel
>
> But this is not possbile in FreeBSD loader.
>
> I am not saying only non-sense, aren't I?
>
> Could you do something for correct this?
Why do you need different slices?
This is my way as example:

wd0s1a / for 2.2.8-R
wd0s1b swap for  2.2.8-R and 3.1-R
wd0s1d / for 3.1-R
wd0s1e /tmp for  2.2.8-R and 3.1-R
wd0s1f / with /var & /usr in it for 2.1.7-R
wd0s1g /home for  2.2.8-R and 3.1-R and 2.1.7-R
wd0s2d /var for 3.1-R
wd0s2e /var for 2.2.8-R
wd0s3g /usr for 3.1-R
wd0s3h /usr for 2.2.8-R
... so on

When you share the same disk with BSDI then use only s1 partitions
for BSDI (for compatibility disk labels)

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/