Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:38:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI DMA interface documentation

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I'm trying to write a device driver that utilizes DMA transfers
> > to/from a PCI card. Does any documentation exist (apart from
> > /sys/pci/*.c) that tells me in what order I have to call which
> > functions in order to get things set up properly? I looked a lot
> > but somehow I must have missed it :-)
>
> DMA to/from PCI cards is handled by the card itself, so you will have
> to look at the documentation for the card.  There are other lessons to
> learn as well, but that's where to start.

And how about what functions exist at all? I see no documentation of
rudimentary stuff like pci_map_*, bus_* and so on. I feel a little
left alone with wild guesses like

	find /sys/dev -name '*.c' | xargs grep map_port | m

If that's the way, OK, I'll just take longer. I just don't want to
live like that if there's a web page somewhere with details :-)

cu Jo