Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.6.2 Hanging for some reason......

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my computer from FreeBSD 4.4 to
4.6.2. I read the UPDATE file and believe I took care
of all the necessary things listed. Prior to
upgrading, I had zero problems with the operating
system in over 9 months...only rebooting when power
failures were immanent or when I was unsure how to
restart/reload something I had changed a config file
for.

Since my upgrade, I have had some major hangs.
Probably 2-3 per week. I can't figure out what is
causing this problem. I have read through numerous
files in my /var/log/ directory with no luck on
narrowing down possible causes. I can't really
determine a pattern, but it definitely isn't due to an
overloaded system (at least on my part). I have signs
of people trying to get into the system (with sniffer
scripts) in my firewall logs, but all seem to be
looking for a Windows machine and appear to move on to
the next host so I don't believe it is an intruder..
Because of this and the fact that I had no problems
prior to upgrading, I am led to believe that I have
screwed something up again.

Once again, I am running FreeBSD 4.6.2 with XFree86
4.2. I am willing to send any information necessary,
but am unsure of what is appropriate/helpful due to
the situation.

Does anybody have *any* idea what my problem could be?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Thomas Kersten