Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 00:54:38 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        chris@netmonger.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

> It is time for the low-life "in your face" attitude that alot of the
> Linux crew has had for a long time.

Completely disagree.  Many of the Linux people are strident and
intolerable only because they don't know any better.  We do know
better and for us it would be abandoning the high road and most of our
personal principles for some purely hypothetical short-term gain in
mind share.  Of course, by the time we got those users we'd find that
our former users had left us in disgust and it wouldn't be a big gain
so much as a trade.  Do you know how many people (linux users) have
approached us at Linux World to say that they appreciate a voice of
reason amongs all the screaming young advocates there, somebody to add
a little *balance*?  Did you read ;login this month?  There's an
interesting rant by a Linux advocate about how much he hates everything
you and Brett have been suggesting WRT the foaming edge of advocacy.
If you haven't read it, I suggest it.

Do we need better advocacy?  Of course, that's a boolean constant.
Are we making progress with this?  Yes.  More than ever before, in
fact.  I'm not spending this week in San Jose for my health, ya
know. :) Do we need an advocate corps of trolls, flamers and blatant
scam-debate marketslimers on our side to do this?  Most definitely
not.

Remember the old "we had to destroy the village in order to save it"
quote from Vietnam?  That's the kind of insane logic trap I think
this discussion's now heading in.

- Jordan