Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:43:44 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: floppy powered tape drive

> ok, i have this ancient Connor Qic-Wide 420meg tape drive that works
> off of the floppy tape interface.. i wanted to use it to back my etc
> files and stuff.  however, i've seen that they took out the ft0 out of
> the LINT kernel..  any one know the line i have to put in the kernel
> cfg to get it working?

Floppy QIC tape drives have been gone since about FreeBSD 3.0, and
AFAIK, there's no way to get one to work. Even as early as 2.2.7, the
code was suffering from bitrot.

I, too, mourned the passing of my QIC tape deck, until I discovered that
(under $200) ATAPI CD-RW drives worked better, faster, and held more
backup data. (hint, hint!)

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor