Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:43:15 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, bg1tpt@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: rrdtool 1.3.3 and dejavu dependency

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:34:55AM +0100, Daniel Roethlisberger wrote:

> My tests show that it falls back to bitstream-vera, but I haven't
> tested it on a clean system.

It does on a clean system, but perhaps letting users know or giving
options would be much better.

> I think what we need is something along the lines of depending on
> (dejavu OR bitstream-vera).  Or even any TTF font.  There are
> other possibilities, like making graphing support optional in
> rrdtool, or replacing the dependency with a pkg-message, asking
> the user to install some font if graphing is to be used.

I think some options in the port, like "depend on xorg-fonts-truetype"
and "depend on dejavu (requires X11)" could be some good starting point.
The user would have control on what to install.

> > I see pango is depending on x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-truetype, which depends
> > on some fonts pacjkages but not on libX11.
> >
> > Hope my feedback helps.
>
> Due to ENOTIME, I wont be able to devote any meaningful amount of
> time to this any time soon.  Can you submit the information in
> this thread as a PR against rrdtool so it doesn't get lost?

I understand... I'll be too busy during christmas, but I'll have a look
at it and try to send some patch for the port.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>