Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 19:48:35 PDT
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fips from win95

> On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Brian N. Handy wrote:
>
> > So, I try booting up the PC into MSDOS mode and run fips.  Now, I tried
> > this once on my laptop and it didn't work -- hung the machine.  I tried it
> > on this PC here and I had it complain about ... oh, I can't remember now,
> > it didn't like the partition type I think.  I don't have the exact error
> > message, I'll get that later...
> >
> > Bottom line is, have people done this from win95 or am I just screwed?
>
> If it complained about the partition type, then you're running FAT32 and
> FIPS won't help you.  You'll have to get Partition Magic to manipulate the
> partition.

Maybe not... from fips (last year some time), it doesn't understand
some of the ofther fat16 partitions (I bought a laptop around thanksgiving
which had a paritition type of (I think) '0xE'.  I re-ided it (I think)
and I was fine (but this was a royal pain in the arse).

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com