Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:00:19 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newuser

Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:30:25AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> > Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Essentially:
> > >
> > >     # pw useradd -n name -m
> > >     # passwd name
> > >
> > > I suggest that you immediately read the pw(8) man page and the
> > > appropriate section of the Handbook:
> > >
> > >     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users.html
> >
> > Um ... no offense, Matt, but isn't that a bit overly difficult for a new
> > user?
>
> I think that's an unreasonably pessimistic view of the capabilities of
> new users.

Not what I intended.

> pw(8) is not (IMHO) particularly difficult to use.

Agreed.

> Yes,
> there are a lot of different options for doing various things, but if
> you adopt the principle of not fiddling with the bits you don't (yet)
> understand, pw(8) basically does the right thing.  pw(8) also has a
> very nifty feature where you can just stick 'help' into the command
> line and it tells you what options are available.

My point was that adduser walks you through all the steps required to
create a user (such as entering the GECOS stuff, and picking a shell,
creating a home directory (although you handled that with -m))

Personally, I understand pw, and yet I find adduser to simply be more
convenient.  I guess that was my real point.  The difficulty in user
managemet on a Unix system (to a new user) is not the commands themselves,
but all the various steps required to actually create a useful user
account.  adduser puts those all together in a "wizard" fashon, while
pw gives you lots of opportunities to forget steps.

> > Try adduser ... the manpage is pretty informative.
>
> TIMTOWTDI.

OK, you're going to have to enlighten me by letting me know what that
abbreviation stands for.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies