Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2007 18:35:15 +0200
From:      Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel@roe.ch>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdev destroy_dev() and detach races

Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> 2007-07-03:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 06:20:58PM +0200, Daniel Roethlisberger wrote:
> > Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> 2007-07-02:

> > > Do you referring to RELENG_6 or CURRENT ? In CURRENT, destroy_devl() does
> > > sleep until there is any thread that grabbed thread reference. Look at the
> > > rev. 1.199 of kern_conf.c. On the other hand, this was never MFCed, and
> > > cause some other troubles that are being worked on.
> >
> > RELENG_6, sorry for not mentioning.

> > > This looks like a workaround.
> >
> > Why don't all the other drivers in RELENG_6 need some kind of workaround
> > to detach reliably?  Did I just look at the wrong drivers?
> The problem you described is a bug in RELENG_6. The fix changes devfs
> infrastructure instead of modyfing all the drivers.

Hum, that's not what I meant, sorry for not being clear.  I understand
the implications of the fix.  But since the fix was not MFCed, why
aren't there drivers in RELENG_6 crashing on this issue?  Why don't I
see more workarounds like mine in RELENG_6 drivers?  That's what I
wondered.

Since my driver now works flawlessly, it doesn't really matter.

> One of the reason why the fix (rev. 1.199 of kern_conf.c) it is not
> MFCed is some undesirable consequences, in particular, interaction
> with drivers calling destroy_dev() from cdev methods.

-Dan

--
Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel@roe.ch>