Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:48:59 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

--nextPart2189393.b8WeqqOoLr

On Friday 05 November 2004 06:38 pm, Scott Long wrote:
> All,
>
> FreeBSD 5.3 is about to be announced this weekend and will signal the
> true kick-off of the 5-STABLE and 6-CURRENT series.  We are very excited
> about this, both because 5.3 is a good release, and because 6.0 will
> give us a chance to, erm, redeem ourselves and our development process
> =3D-)

<snip>

> There has been quite a bit of discussion about this over the past week
> by the developer community.  The proposal that I and Poul-Henning have
> set forth is to stop gating releases, both major and minor, or features,
> and instead gate them on a schedule that is both reasonable and timely.
> New -STABLE branched will be made on a calendar-based time line, and
> point releases on those branches will be made at regular intervals.  We
> are still debating the exact time line, but it will fall somewhere
> between doing a new -STABLE branch every 12-18 months, and doing point
> releases every 4-6 months.
Won't branching -STABLE every 12-18 months will be too often?  I'm thinking=
=20
from the perspective of maintaining remote servers, the prospect of=20
updating across major versions.  This would also depend on how long=20
various branch will stay supported and have security updates.  As you have=
=20
said there won't be a huge 4.x -> 5.x chasm for future releases, but with=20
an accellerated release schedule upgradeablity between branches=20
particularly doing remote upgrades safely will need to be a priority,=20
which is probably a good thing.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry