Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:25:29 +0100
From:      Arne Norre Ekstroem <aneks@ti.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems booting 4.1 on 45G drive

Hi,

This question has also been posted on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc with no answer.

Using a 45G HD I have problems with the boot of FreeBSD 4.1. I get errors like:

invalid partition, no /kernel and no /boot/loader

Installation from CDROM completes nicely and without errors. It is just booting
that fails.

As an experiment, I tried an installation using a small (50M) root partition,
but with no luck. Also it does not matter if I run the disks in dangerously
dedicated or in compatible mode.

The experiment with the small root partition was made using the facilities of
the installer. I made the partition as the first one, and assumes that this
ensures that it will be at the beginning of the disk ? (Before cylinder 1024)

To check if the machine is o.k. I installed redhat 7. -no problems.

Please, can anyone help with suggestions for a solution to the problem or
experiments to clear up what the problem is. I really want to stick with FreeBSD
and awoid a switch to Linux.

FYI, I have seen other postings with this issue, but other than the 1024
cylinder thing I have seen no solutions.

Thanks for your time,

Arne