Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:31:13 +0100
From:      martin@orbweavers.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firewall on FreeBSD

On Friday 24 June 2005 15:31, fbsd_user wrote:
> Which firewall you select to use should be based on your level of
> understanding of how information is moved across the internet.
> Ipfilter is best suited for people who are just learning about
> firewalling. PF is a little more automated and the rules are very
> close to IPF's.
> IPFW is for the advanced firewall users who have expert
> understanding of the internet. All 3 firewalls support stateful
> rules and are available in the 5.4 release. Best advice is start
> with Ipfilter and when you find out that you have needs which are
> not met by Ipfilter then move over to IPFW.

Is this right? I started off using IPFW, and found it no harder or easier than
ipfilter, which I am using now. Can't remember the reason I changed to
ipfilter, think it might have something to do with being easier to use with
ipnat, but I am pretty happy with it. Is there anything that ipfw does better
than ipfilter to make it preferable?