Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:14:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Michael Perry <mperry@lnxpowered.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question on linux-base installs

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Michael Perry wrote:

> HI all-
>
> I recently did my first make buildworld make installworld and it went
> very well.  The howto stuff is very handy :).  My question though
> probably has two parts or so so I'll try to elaborate them a bit.  I
> have been using the linux-mozilla 1.4 port a lot so I can take advantage
> of the plugins.  The one thing I have found with linux-base 8 is that
> the java plugins don't work and have a common error which I have seen
> with glibc or other problems.  Can one install two different linux-base
> versions?  I would like to go to linux-base 6 so I can get the java
> plugin working in linux-mozilla.  I don't see a java version which works
> with linux-base 8 and will work as a plugin.  Any issues with having two
> versions of linux base installed or should I just deinstall the version
> 8 and install the linux base 6 stuff?
Getting linux-mozilla and java to work is always a bit tricky:
I have got
linux-mozilla1.5rc2
linux_base-8.0_1
linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.01
and use the plugin found in
.../jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
This also works with
linux-realplayer, acroread-5 and linux-flash plugins.

Good Luck!

Uli.

	|    Peter Ulrich Kruppa    |
        |         Wuppertal         |