Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 10:56:13 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        andy@icc.surw.chel.su (Andrey Zakhvatov)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Curses/ncurses problem

As Andrey Zakhvatov wrote:

>    What about upgrade ncurses library to last release, 1.9.9e ?

Somebody must actually do it.

>    And what about totally switch to new curses instead of using
>    attic curses?

I'm not so sure about it.  The previous version of ncurses suffered
from quite a number of bugs.  The old BSD curses doesn't suffer :)
from too many features, arguably, but at least it's halfways bugfree.
Until the ncurses maintainers show an attitude more towards bugfixing
than to adding new features (like installing sigwinch handlers that
even SysV curses doesn't do, and that confuse the hell out of some
programs like Mutt), i would be very careful with dropping boring old
BSD curses.  It works for those programs that use it.  Nobody ever
made the experiment to link an entire FreeBSD base system against
ncurses, and see what would break.

Before you miscomprehend the above: this is _my_ opinion, and must not
be confused with any (non-existant as such) opinion of the FreeBSD
core team, the FreeBSD Project, the pope, or anybody else. ;-)

--
cheers, J"org