Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:13:46 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Re: Bridged networking with vmware

At 5:11 PM -0400 7/31/00, Robert Withrow wrote:
>Hi:
>
>:- After loading the module (either vmnet_bridge.ko or if_tap.ko)
>
>In what port does vmnet_bridge.ko exist?
>
>I'm running the "standard" FreeBSD port of VMWARE (/usr/ports/.../vmware1)
>with the Makefile having version 1.19, and there doesn't seem to be
>any vmnet_bridge.ko built.
>
>It is very confusing there being all these different ports.

I think vmware1 is just there for people who have bought the
vmware1 license, and who have not wanted to buy a license for
vmware2 (not yet, at least).  Which is to say, vmware1 is pretty
much frozen in time, just there for historical purposes.  It's
the vmware2 port which is seeing all the activity, as near as I
can tell.

As for vmware2, that seems to be moving so fast that it almost
always requires that you're running 4-stable.  (I just upgraded
to the latest vmware port on my machine, which broke vmware2
because my OS level is a 4-stable from about three weeks ago).

A little frustrating, to be sure, but I do appreciate all the
improvements which are being made.  I *was* going to run linux
to use vmware, but redhat 6.2 seems to have trouble with my
hardware.  freebsd works fine on the hardware, so the better
vmware2 port works, the happier I am...  :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute