Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:07:20 -0800
From:      tom brown <tomb@cgf.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   scanimage reports "open of device coolscan:/dev/pass4 failed: Invalid  argument"

The story so far:

Recompiled the kernel with

    controller      scbus0          # SCSI bus (required)
    device          da0             # Direct Access (disks)
    device          sa0             # Sequential Access (tape etc)
    device          cd0             # CD

    controller      scbus1
    device          cd1
    device          pass0

Installed the scanner on the second SCSI channel

    Feb 27 15:27:09 foobar/kernel: pass4: <Nikon COOLSCANIII 1.31>
Removable Scanner SCSI-2 device
    Feb 27 15:27:09 foobar/kernel: pass4: 3.300MB/s transfers

build device node:

bash#cd /dev
bash#./MAKEDEV pass4

Built sane, xsane, gimp from the ports.

The config file for the coolscan /usr/local/etc/sane.d/coolscan.conf

    scsi Nikon * Scanner
    /dev/pass4

Added the path:

    SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/etc/sane.d

And the /dev/pass4 device has the following permissions

    crw-------  1 root  operator   31,   4 Feb 27 14:17 /dev/pass4

Execute scanimage:

    bash#scanimage -d coolscan:/dev/pass4
    scanimage: open of device coolscan:/dev/pass4 failed: Invalid
argument

Any ideas?  I find the device node permissions suspect, but I don't know
what they should be "crw_rw_rw_" prehaps?

Thanks

Tom