Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2019 05:57:05 -0800
From:      Aleksandr Miroslav <alexmiroslav@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd 11 -> 12 ssh issues after upgrading (due to VMWare bug)

I had a FreeBSD 11.2 box running on VMWare with no problems. I
upgraded to 12 via freebsd-update. Done this plenty of times before.

Upgrade went okay, but after reboot I couldn't ssh out from the box.

ssh -vvv shows that everything goes okay until the very end:

  debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
  Authenticated to example.org ([1.2.3.4]:22).
  debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
  debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions@openssh.com
  debug1: Entering interactive session.
  debug1: pledge: network
  debug1: client_input_global_request: rtype hostkeys-00@openssh.com
want_reply 0
  Fssh_packet_write_wait: Connection to 1.2.3.4 port 22: Broken pipe

Tore my hair out trying to figure this out. A web search led me to
this solution:

  Add this to ~/.ssh/config:

    Host *
         IPQoS throughput

This is apparently due to a VMWare networking bug.

Posting this in case anyone else had similar errors.