Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:55:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jbryant@tfs.net, bakul@torrentnet.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel -- owner?

> One of the problems is that you can't have more than 8 partitions in a
> slice, and two of those are stolen.  /, swap, /usr, /var, /tmp, and
> one other and you are out.

NetBSD has upped this to 16 (or was it OpenBSD).

Either way, it's possible to up the number... but is it desirable?

One problem, I think, is with device organization: I think it's
idiotic to have 'c' and 'd' used the way they are; one can be
arrived at by asking the physical disk how many sectors it has,
and the other can be arrived at by asking the logical-to-physical
translation layer which exported the DOS partitions as devices
how big the BSD partition is.  So 'c' and 'd' are redundant (all
redundancy not related to fault tolerance should be eliminated).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---