Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:29:47 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014182987.86ef22@mired.org>
To:        "vanya" <UnixDaemon@vicard.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About printers

vanya <UnixDaemon@vicard.net> types:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BE3BF2.D4F80120

Please adjust your mailer to send a single copy of your message, in
plain text format. Your question is less likely to be ignored if you
do that.

> Please, tell me about FBSD support of PCL drivers for printers

It doesn't have any. Nothing in FreeBSD knows or cares about printer
languages. It will let you send whatever you want to the printer.

> I have HP DeskJet 640C priner. Has FBSD PCL drivers for my printer and
> how can I get it?

There are applications that can generate PCL. In particular,
ghostscript can take PostScript turn it into PCL to send to a printer,
and most FreeBSD graphics applications generate PostScript.

There is also a port called pclprint, which seems to be designed to
help you generate PCL files.

	<mike