Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:41:17 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'toby@milkyway.org'" <toby@antares.milkyway.org>
Subject:   Re: tape drive not working

In the last episode (Apr 15), Toby Swanson said:
> There is a /modules/cd9660.ko file.  I tried the make anyway and
> received this message.
>
> make: don't know how to make obj. Stop

Well that's weird.  Try manually loading the kld with "kldload cd9660"
and see if you get any errors.

> A tape is in the drive.  It moves the tape back and forth when
> a tape is inserted and during boot up.

Weird again.  The drive activity might just be because the SCSI bus was
reset.  It might not mean the device was found by the kernel.  In your
dmesg output, do you get anything like:

sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
sa0: <ARCHIVE Python 25947-XXX 2.49> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 15)

(different make/model of course)?  If not, then the system isn't
finding the drive at all.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com