Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:57:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Bell <tradica@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -- RE: -- undo a rm -rf - Correction

I had an extra / in the original post.
Besure to replace as0s1a with the partition of the
killed data.  The copy file will grow to the available
size of the partition, so make sure your destination
has sufficient space

# dd if=/dev/ad0s1a of=copy_of_ad0s1a -bs 512

# strings copy_of_ad0s1a > text_from_ad0s1a

after that, open in a text editor or parse through.
Goodluck

Robert

>This is the best solution I can recomend.
>Provided you have not nuked the drive, you should be
>able to extract config files, html files, and other
>text data.
>
># dd if=/dev/ad0s1a /of=copy_of_ad0s1a -bs 512
>
># strings copy_of_ad0s1a > text_from_ad0s1a
>
>after that, open in a text editor or parse through.
>Goodluck

>Robert
> > > On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:15:50AM -0400 or
thereabouts, David Loszewski
> > > seemed to write:
portion
freebsd