Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:07:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        valley@dowco.com (John Blenkhorn)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: to good to be true

John Blenkhorn wrote:
> This operating system seems to be to good to be true!

Well, it's been under continuous development since the mid 1970's.
Chinese proverb: "Through hard work, an iron rod may be ground into a needle."

> I would like to set up a server which is capable to handle ecommerce.  Does
> this system do so?

Beats me. This sounds like an application issue, not an OS one. I can't
help here.

> I have a lot of knowledge about ms-dos but am nervous about a new operating
> system I know nothing about.  I am willing to learn and have been a quik

Does the ability to sustain a few thousand simultaneous ftp connections
ease that nervousness? www.cdrom.com uses it. :) Machines that sustain
heavy loads for a few months without rebooting?

> study in the past.  I have heard alot of good things about your system and
> am wondering if there are any pitfalls I should know about. Or changes in
> the protocalls. language etc.  I know microsoft has alot to answer for and

Yeah, the BSD system works according to standards, unlike M$. People
actually get nervous and complain if something is non-compliant. In the
broader Unix world, noncompliance is considered a bug, not an advanced
feature. The developers actually fix these bugs, too.

> I should have been studying this along time ago.  But it is never to late
> to correct a mistake.  Can you help me out?

Get some books, is my advice. Start with Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD".
(A text version ships on the official CD-ROM set).

Then visit www.ora.com with deep pockets and pick up some of their
fine publications related to Unix. THere's one with a title like
"Essential ?? Administration ??". Also look at their "nutshell" series.
These are very handy desk-top references. Avoid things that are Linux
or SysV specific. (You might be led into doctrinal Error.)

To learn it right, put it on a machine all by itself and hack away for
a few months. Set it up in a variety of ways... try various applications,
try to make it wedge, etc etc, play with it. For a real hoot, put it
on a 386, and kick yourself for not using it earlier. Later, turn the
386 into a firewall.

Dave
--
http://www.microsoft.com/security: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most
                  secure network operating system available.'