Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:20:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Brilliant and very useful for FreeBSD, IMHO

William Palfreman wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Johnson David wrote:
> > But when I hear stories of Lindow defaulting to a password-less root
> > login, I don't think that's the way we want to go.
>
> FreeBSD does that.  In fact, as I understand it, it is traditional for
> any new UNIX installation to default to a passwordless root login.

He means without a login prompt; it drops you directly into the
graphical shell with your credentials equal to "root".

This is what Windows does, too, FWIW, unless you specify a
network login; then, after you login as a particular user,
it drops you in with "root" credentials on the local machine,
and proxy credentials equal to the network login, on the
network.

Windows 2000/NT/XP force login as a normal user, or "admin";
"admin" acts like a particular network login, in earlier versions
of Windows (i.e. local "root" credentials, proxy credentials
relative to the node on the network).

-- Terry