Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:08:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        ahl@austclear.com.au (Tony Landells)
Cc:        ipfw@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new IPFW

> [ using BPF for ipfw ]
>
> One concern I would have with that is that there are a lot of tools
> built on BPF that I would prefer to not be able to run on the firewall.
>
> Well, to be more accurate, I'd love to be able to run them on the
> firewall, but I don't want attackers to have access to them, and
> the safest option is to not even have support in the kernel for them
> (I can always plug in a separate sniffer if I really need it).

Non-issue.  The fcode engine is in net/bpf_filter.c, the bpf tapping
routings that actually get packets to/from the cards is in net/bpf.c.

I din't mean to imply that the filtering should be done using the /dev/bpf
interface, just that the engine code for filtering could be reused.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net