Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:37:00 -0600
From:      "Jonathan Horne" <jhorne@dfwlp.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How do you keep users from stealing other user's ip??

You make it sound like they are doing it on purpose.  Could it be the lease
duration is so short that the ips are going back into the pool before they
are truly abandoned by the original user?  If you look at the behavior of
the MS DHCP server, the lease duration is 8 days (with standard 4 day
renewal).  If it takes 8 days for it to back into the pool, this should be
more than enough time for a user to go home for the weekend, and hopefully
get the same ip when they get back to work.  I would suggest increasing the
lease duration time and see if that stops users from stepping on each others
dhcp leases (don't forget, in the typical dhcp-request conversation, the
client asks "hey, I had x.x.x.x last, is it still available for me?"  you
want the server to be able to say "sure").  On my freebsd router, the DHCP
server came with a 1 hour lease duration (which causes a 30 minute renewal..
IMO this is too fast).

Second, you mentioned that users could just download software that would
allow them to change their mac address.  It sounds like some users have too
high a rights assignment, if they are causing mischief like that.

Cheers,
jonathan