Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 07:43:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem

Jackson Donadel <fatboy@linuxbr.com.br> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > you is saying to me that that wasted space is there?

It is not wasted space.  The space is used to improve the
efficiency and speed of the filesystem, so to speak.  If
you really want, you can reduce the "minfree" percentage,
but it will make filesystem operations less efficient and
slower.

 > but..., when i install ffs?
 > i think fbsd uses ufs

FFS (the Berkeley fast filesystem) is a member of the UFS
family of UNIX filesystems.

 > but ok, if there is no problem, thanks
 >
 > There is some homepage that i can read more about ffs?

You might want to read ``man 5 fs''.  It contains a lot of
technical details which are probably not interesting for
you, but there are also interesting pieces of information.
It says:

   The fs_minfree element gives the minimum acceptable
   percentage of file system blocks that may be free. If the
   freelist drops below this level only the super-user may
   continue to allocate blocks.  The fs_minfree element may be
   set to 0 if no reserve of free blocks is deemed necessary,
   however severe performance degradations will be observed if
   the file system is run at greater than 90% full; thus the
   default value of fs_minfree is 10%.

I believe that information is not completely up-to-date,
and FreeBSD's FFS implementation has been improved to
work well with 8% "minfree", which is now the default.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)