Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:57:58 -0400
From:      Erik Hollembeak <gte384u@mail.gatech.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.1 - Problem with post-installation configuration of apache13-mod_ssl

Hi,

Just decided to make the venture into the world of FreeBSD by
installing 5.1 off the mini-iso. I have installed the base distribution
+ perl from the ports and am currently trying to get apache13 with
mod_ssl working. This has usually been a trivial task, but I've been
unable to make any progress, despite the so far wonderful
documentation. Any assistance that could be provided would be
wonderful. Below is my error message and uname -a output.

******************************
arcadia# apachectl startssl
[Thu Jun 19 22:47:27 2003] [warn] Loaded DSO libexec/apache/libdav.so
uses plain Apache 1.3 API, this module might crash under EAPI! (please
recompile it with -DEAPI)
Apache/1.3.27 mod_ssl/2.8.14 (Pass Phrase Dialog)
Some of your private key files are encrypted for security reasons.
In order to read them you have to provide us with the pass phrases.

Server new.host.name:443 (RSA)
Enter pass phrase:

Ok: Pass Phrase Dialog successful.
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

arcadia# apachectl start
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

arcadia# uname -a
FreeBSD arcadia 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun  5 02:55:42
GMT 2003     root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

Erik Hollembeak
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry