Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:51:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Cosmic 665 <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Kernel" SYSTEM HANGS and halts

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :CPU's:  INtel 333Mhz  x2
> :..
> :note:  whenever I set my CPU_type for only "I586_cpu" I get a kernel panic.
> :could someone plz tell my why??  Also, if I do get a  kernel panic, how do I
> :"switch Back" to the GENERIC kernel without a bootdisk??   In 3.2 I'm
> :clueless??

At the third stage loader prompt (where it says something like autobooting in
9 seconds.  Press Enter to boot immediately, any other key to interupt.)
press any other key.  You can then type "boot /kernel.GENERIC" to boot
the kernel called /kernel.GENERIC.

>     A pentium-II cpu uses a Pentium-PRO core, not a pentium core.  In
>     otherwords, those are I686_cpu's you have, not 586's, so you should
>     specify both the I586_cpu and the I686_cpu options.

Is there some reason that you can't just use I686_cpu?  I do on my dual PII
box, and it works...

> :# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
> :options	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> :options	APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O
> :# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
> :#options	NCPU=2			# number of CPUs
> :#options	NBUS=4			# number of busses
> :#options	NAPIC=1			# number of IO APICs
> :#options	NINTR=24		# number of INTs
>
>     Try specifying the NCPU option specifically.  That's all I can think of
>     right offhand.

Run mptable, and set your kernel to explicitly use what it returns.

David Scheidt