Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 18:06:40 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: contrib code and gnu build glue (was [CFR] /sys/miscfs/* ->  /sys/fs/)

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2001 13:46:50 MST, Doug Barton wrote:

> I've always thought that putting code in one place and build glue in another
> is clever.  It allows us to provide the code as close as supplied as
> possible.
>
> You don't actually say what you have against the scheme.  Care to
> elaborate?

	I wish the whole thing were cleaner. There is too much "a little bit of
this," and "a little bit of that" in the status quo. What'd really be nice
for the current arrangement is if src/gnu had all of the 3rd party GPV'ed
code, and src/contrib had all of the other 3rd party code except the bits
related to encryption, which should still go in src/secure to help the
people living under oppressive regimes. Then ALL of the build glue should
go in its respective home under src/whatever.

	However, the work spent on that would be better spent on making the system
more modular to start with, and that's a bikeshed of a different color.

--
    I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?