Date:      7 Jun 2001 08:15:11 -0700
From:      Steve M <slavik944@metconnect.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: How do I communicate with sio0 (com1)

Greetings all once again.  I have in my possesion a Cisco 2501 router
which I purchased from the company I work for

I would like to open up a serial link to the console port
on the router which requires me to communicate via
sio0.  Or so I believe.

I had tried to find a sio0 entry in the /dev
directory but nothing showed up.
I ran a ./MAKEDEV sio and sio0 and it told
me 'device not found'.  I checked my kernel
and saw that there was an entry for sio
from 0-4 and they all had an irq and mem
address.

I figured I'd try it from another angle and did the following.
I used 'ppp', set device to
/dev/cuaa0/ and set speed to 9600 at the prompt.

Then typed in term at the ppp prompt
and waited for something to happen.

Nothing happened.  So I'm pretty certain I'm going
about this the wrong way.

For those that are familiar with Cisco 2501 routers what I'm
trying to accomplish is to log in to the router via the 'console' port.

I have tried using the 'hyperterminal' in my Windoze box.
I set baud to 9600 as per Cisco and havent had any succesful
results.

I have a DB-9 connector for a flat RJ-45 cable (both jacks are mirror images
of each other).

All my attempts have been unsuccesful, so if anyone has any helpful
hints for the router question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve M