Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:26:58 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Rob Maher <maher@istar.ca>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux TCP/IP Stacks

In <3524DF82.51F041C8@istar.ca>, Rob Maher wrote:
> I am preparing a report for a study of the differences between the
> FreeBSD and Linux  TCP/IP stacks, with respect to which implementation
> is more efficient and robust.
>
> I was wondering if someone may be able to provide me with some
> information on any major differences between the two stacks which
> may make one stack seem 'better' than the other at handling
> large loads of users.

With all respect, but I doubt you should write such a report if you
have to ask.

At the very least you should be able to digg around in the Linux
kernel and tell what is derived from BSD and what is home-grown (that
requires that Linux'ers didn't though out the original copyright, of
course...). But even then, how to judge what differences cause
"better" handling of many users? For every difference between the
systems, you probably find more than one person from each camp who
argues that this change or its absense handles more load, if more
efficient or more robust.

I see two ways you can proceed:

1) Describe the differences without judging over the effects of the
   differences. Probably not what magazine editors want.

2) Look around for large machines and ask the administrators about
   their impressions. Order by number of simulaneous users. cdrom.com
   is FreeBSD' flagship, see the notes on their site and check the
   FreeBSD mailing list archives.

Good luck, but please don't add to my dislike about journalists.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer